Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Jerky in the Dehydrator - AWESOME

Finally got the courage up Sunday to use the dehydrator.  Earlier in the week I purchased some meat to make jerky.  I have to admit that I was nervous that I would screw it up.  Remember, there's a reason my father called me Chef Gimpy!!!!

With that said, anyone can use this dehydrator.  it's AMAZING!!!!



When I purchased the Dehydrator off Amazon I ordered just the regular dehydrator, no extra trays.  It comes with 4 and that was good enough for me.  So there are 4 trays of meat laid out here for jerky.  And here's a picture of the finished product!




O.K. another sideways picture.  Still haven't figured out why it does that.  Just so you know. the black thing at the bottom of the picture is actually my Shephard's nose.  LOL.  He was watching me take the jerky off the trays and put it in the Ziploc bag.  I had already given each dog a piece and he wanted more.  Too funny.

Couple of things to point out when you are making jerky:

1)  When you are slicing the meat, I would suggested a slicer type machine.  I have a Faberware slicer that I used to slice the meat and it worked very well.  I wouldn't suggested using the thinnest slicer setting because it's difficult to work with later.  I would also suggest that you have the meat almost frozen.  it's easier to slice that way as it's a little more rigid and not so flimsy.

2)  You can use any type of meat for jerky.  After doing some reading on the web, they state that actually the tougher pieces of meat work well so keep that in mind.

3)  When using a marinade, don't use too think of one.  That's the mistake I made with this batch.  Don't get me wrong, it's good, however I used a Terrayki sauce and it was too thick so the flavors didn't soak into the meat as well.  For the future I will check into making my own marinade and plan on using it overnight.

4)  The machine was not as loud as I expected and worked like a charm.  My dehydrator is a simple on/off setting.  The machine itself didn't get extremely hot on the outside which I really liked and the jerky was done in 5 hours.

Now this bag is stuffed full and I know that to get as much jerky at the store as I made here would cost me a least $15.00 or more so this is a deffinite savings for me.  I also plan on using this for fruit and vegetables.

This is another product that I am definitely thrilled I purchased.  For the future, I will watch for meat cheaper cuts of meat to go on sale that I can make jerky out of.  The jerky will be both for the dogs and the family.  Have you looked at the labels of jerky for dogs.  Can you tell me what some of those ingredients are because I can't pronounce them let alone tell you what they are.  I much prefer to make the jerky for the dogs now that I have found how easy it was to do. 

And the best part of this for me is that I purchased the dehydrator with money earned doing surveys!  Woo Hoo! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here