Sunday, December 20, 2009

New Year's Changes

Notice I didn't say Resolutions. Why? Everyone sets Resolutions and everybody I know, lets them fall by the wayside, including me. Why not call it New Year's Changes instead. Let's make some changes.

Where are we going to make the changes......in ourselves, of course! Now we all know that we are starting to change our finances with the groceries, but there are many many ways we can save money, but to save the bucks, we need to stand up and go to the bathroom and take a good hard look at ourselves in the mirror. O.K. I'm on a soap box and this time I'm going to be there a while.

O.K.....let's talk seriously...you know that I love to meet people and I have been blessed through this blog and Facebook, to be meeting tons of great wonderful people out there and I love it. But I'm seeing a trend that has made me stop and think about things. I've had people say to me that they can't figure out for the life of them how they got into the economic diaster they are in and it takes everything I have not to say "are you freakin kidding me", but that wouldn't be very polite so I currently have several sets of teeth marks on my tongue.

The other phrase is I hear often is how did this happen to our economy or why didn't we see this coming? Now we can sit back and blame the big wigs at AIG, etc., but if we really look at the big picture, we have to take a big part of the blame. Now before you scream at me to *(*& off, hear me out.

We have our priorities out of wack and that's the truth. All you have to do is look at the newest generation of kids out in the work force and it doesn't take long to figure it out. Kids today expect the best of everything and don't know how to do much to take care of themselves. I see kids in their early twenties who don't know how to balance a checkbook let alone fix themselves dinner in their own kitchens. I see people standing in line to get $500 phones! Everyone rushes out to buy Wiis and the newest little furry critter that their child just has to have. But does he or she really need it. What are you teaching your child when you go out and drop $50+ for a Wii game this week and again two weeks from now.

Now I know that I am probably making some people a bit upset and that is not the thing that I am trying to do, but unless you can show me in the good book where God wants me to run out and buy a $500 phone and then buy the next latest and greatest that will be out in probably a year for even more than $500, then I'm going to stick to my guns.

I see people out there saying they won't work for less than $14/hr. And we wonder why jobs are outsourced. We've turned into a society of money. Everything is about money. Who are we trying to impress. The neighbor next door, the member of our church, the people we work with? Who are we suppose to impress??? I only worry about the man upstairs and believe me that's enough for me to have to worry about. It takes everything I have to try to do what's right by him every single day and I admit that I fail more often than I succeed.

We've made the big cats fat. If you pay attention to the price of things at the grocery stores, they are going up pennies at a time yet the product sizes are shrinking substantially. Coupons that used to be $.50 off of one item are now coming out at $.25 off of 4. And some manufacturers have even taken to reducing the production of their products which equal a shortage of product on the shelves, which creates a demand, ending with them raising their prices. Supply and Demand Fat Cat Style. Remember your economics classes from school. You've living it now.

Now, what can we do about it.....change ourselves. Let's start the New Year with making changes. Changes to ourselves, changes to our priorities and changes to the way we live.

It's the snowball effect of.....if I make a change and tell two people and they make the change and tell two people and so on and so on. We helped create the mess the economy is in....if we don't change now....our Great Grandkids are in for a world of hurt and I don't think that is the way God intended it to be.

Together we can make a change and we can make a difference. One idea, one item, one manufacturer at a time.

I would love to hear your ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. Spread the word....starting January 1st let's vow to make a change and see what we can do to turn things around. Let's get Frugalistic and see what we can accomplish in our lives and in our world. Let's move a mountain!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here