Thursday, February 16, 2012

1 Yr. Cable Free - Was it the Right Decision?

Last January I was going out of town to Atlanta for a week and spent the night before sending out e-mails to the service members and family members I support. Right in the middle of sending out the final e-mail I got a message from our internet/cable provider that they locked my account. Needless to say, I lost my mind!! Here I was getting ready to board a plane in 12 hours and of course the provider was closed for the evening.

The next morning I called the provider while waiting to board the plane and they told me the problem was I had gone over the limit of outgoing e-mails (didn't know they had one) and they thought my account had been hacked and was sending out spam so they shut it down. I was not a happy camper and when I'm not happy, well, I tend to get a little demanding (who me??? LOL). In a stern rushed voice I explained they couldn't shut my account down because I had military people to get information to and I was not feeling the love and I had better feel some love by the time I landed in Atlanta or it would be ugly. They quickly informed me the best thing to do would be to switch over to a busines account! Woo Hoo Problem Solved. Fax the paperwork to the hotel, I'll have it printed, I'll sign it and fax it back and my account can be back up by the time I'm in my comfy home-away-from home hotel room. Sweet!!! NOT SO MUCH.....

Yes I received the fax, yes I signed it and yes I faxed it back. They even had my account up by the time I got to the room. I was feeling the love. I was back in business and all was right with the world.....I repeat......NOT SO MUCH.......

What they didn't tell me was that by changing to a business account for the internet service, they split our account so, we were no longer "bundling" and they decided to increase, jackup, soar, whatever word you want to use, the cable rates. Now my husband was not feeling the love at all! A month later when we got the bill, he had a small cow (can you say moo???)

The hubby drives right past the cable facility so he always drops off the bill. This day he decided to pay them a nice visit. He promptly walked in and paid the internet bill (now we had two bills) and cancelled the cable. When the nice lady behind the counter asked him if there was a problem his response was "I don't want to talk about it." She asked if there was a way she could help fix the problem and he said "I don't want to talk about it." Our cable was disconnected hours later.

I came home to no cable and a shinny new antenna the size of an I-Pad mounted to the wall. You know what......a year later I can honestly say I don't miss it and I never thought I would say that. I had my channels that I watched. I'm a diy'er so I was definitely going to go through withdrawals. And what about the SVU marathons? OMG, what was I going to do. Well, the only thing you can do....ride the wave.

Believe it or not we have 26 channels and I don't miss cable a bit. We have the main local stations (5) and then we have the public television channels (there are actually some interesting shows on there) and then we have what I call the comparison channels. For example, cable has AMC (American Movie Classics). Regular airwaves has "This". I've seen movies I've never seen before. I'm not talking about garbage movies but good movies. Westerns, classics, black/whites

What about the DIYer channer (can't remember what it is called on cable LOL). Air waves has "Create". It's a mix of everything. It has cooking shows, craft shows, how to do fix things around the house, etc. It's a great channel.

Let's talk MTV......when I'm cleaning, I loved to turn either MTV or VH-1 on and listen to music while I'm cleaning. rocking beat makes things go faster and gets the cleaning done quicker. Belive it or not airwaves has a music channel. It's called "Cool TV". It plays music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's and throws in some newer stuff just to break things up. Good music from my generation. I'm all about that.

They do have a sports channel but you honestly won't find the major sporting events on it. You will find gymnastics, racing, skiing, etc. The stuff it's hard to find on the cable channels.

The fact is the antenna works just fine. We purchased ours for $30.00 from Wal-Mart and have one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The T.V.s work great with them.

Bottom line is that we realized that if we couldn't find something to watch on 26 channels, then we needed to get up off our butts and do something.

So we went from $60.00/month of basic cable to $0.00 and a one time cost of $60.00 + tax for the antennas. While we didn't plan on getting rid of cable, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We honestly don't miss it and I never in my life thought I would say that.

The funny thing is that the cable company sends someone to our house once a month to try to get us to get cable back. Hasn't worked yet and I don't expect it will work at all. We are now Cable Free and glad of it. Yes we took some ribbing from our co-workers, my husband more so than me, but we rode the wave and found we liked it.

Have you ever lived your life without cable? Have you ever thought of trying. How much better would you and your family be by not sitting on the couch all of the time watching show after show on cable. Half of the stuff on there is garbage anyway so why not take the plunge. If you can't handle it, you can always hook it up again.

What could you do with $720.00 (or more) extra a year?

Just saying......

Compensated Affiliate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here