Monday, January 30, 2012

Reading the Labels to Save Money - Not Just For Food

I'm always reading labels these days and I'm amazed and what they don't say.  This is a picture of my dish detergent bottle.  It's the 11 ounce size.    There is something I want to point out to you that even amazed my husband but he can vouche for me that I do this.

And here's a closeup of the front. 




Now, before I go any further, I want to tell you that I LOVE this product and this is primarily the product I purchase so I don't want you thinking I'm bashing the maker of this product with what I'm about to tell you.  With that said.......read on.

Notice the front label.  It's in both Spanish and English.  That's great and I'm all for it.  However, there is one little issue I have with this product's labels on both the front and back.  There are no directions on the back of this product on how much to use.  If you do dishes by hand, stop a minute and think about how much dish detergent you pour into the water.  Do you say the old one one thousand, two one thousand?  Do you do a quick squeeze?  How do you measure when it doesn't tell you?

What it does tell you, if you speak Spanish, is that it's concentrated.  "Concentrado" means concentrated.  How many of you caught that?  How many of you have this product and use it like there is no tomorrow?  Where am I headed with this?

I have been using this bottle since the 1st week of November.  It's CONCENTRATED which means that I don't need to use that much.  If I could simply pour out 5 drops of this stuff I would, but the spout on top makes that impossible.  You turn this stuff upside down and you don't even have to squeeze for it to come out.  So how do I make a concentrated product last and last?  Simple.....

#1)  I squirt very little into the bottom of an empty sink.  Then I turn on the water and grab my sprayer and create suds like you would not believe.

#2)  Every Sunday, I turn the water on low and I fill the bottle back up.  Give it a good shake to mix it up and you are good to go.  I have made this 11 ounce bottle last for 3 months now and as you can see it is half full.  I do dishes once a day Monday through Friday and at least 3 times a day on Saturday and Sunday so I have gotten 132 dish washes out of this one bottle so far.

Today we run in a very fast paced world and more often than not, we don't stop and read the labels.  What you don't read can definitely cost you money.  Now I know that Gain puts great coupons out there and a lot of times you can get this bottle for $.50 or less and some times even free.  I think I paid $.40 for this bottle.  Now, I know you are probably thinking if you only paid $.40 for this bottle, what's the big deal?

The point I am making is that the manufacturer of the product is not concerned about us using their product in the correct manner.  All they are concerned about is us purchasing and using their product.  Now I'm not saying that they are purposely trying to deceive us, but they are not being completely honest because if we all spoke Spanish we would know that the product is concentrated then we wouldn't need to purchase as much of the product.  However, I'm do not speak spanish and I bet the majority of my readers don't either.  No offense to the Spanish speaking community intended at all so please don't take it that way.

It's important in saving your money to make certain that you read labels of what you purchase whether it is food products or cleaning supplies or whatever.  No different then checking the labels on your clothing to make certain you wash them correctly.  Reading labels is a good habit to get into and it will definitely help keep money in your bank acccount!





 Compensated Affiliate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here