Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Let's Talk Coffee.....

There is no better way to get your spouse to realize the cost of groceries than to have them go to the grocery store while you are out of town.  They have a whole new appreciation for the costs of groceries.  Specifically in the case, COFFEE!!!

Cup of Joe.  Great stuff.  I can remember when I was a kid watching my dad drink his cup of coffee and think Ugh!  That stuff looked and tasted horrible.  Little did I know all of these years later that coffee would be my drink of choice.  Now I'm a sweetener and milk kind of girl but everyone has their specific way to sit down and drink a cup of the good stuff.  Wakes you up in the morning (lucky for the drivers in my area).  And quite frankly, there is nothing quite as nice as sitting on my deck in the evening and having a nice cup of coffee while listening to the birds sing.

I can remember a year ago when I was paying $5.99 to $6.99 for Folgers and Maxwell House.  What the heck happened to those days???? 

I have been gone to a conference and wouldn't you know it, as luck would have it, we ran out of coffee and the honey bunches had to go to the store and buy a container of coffee.  Well the heavens parted as did the sea because my man was shocked, floored and down right pissed to put it politely.  It had been so long since he had actually been to the grocery store, he had no idea how much coffee as well as other groceries had gone up.  I think they had to call the Paramedics because my man almost had a heart attack.  LOL

Now we are a two coffee pot a day couple.  One in the morning and one in the evening and I drink the majority of it.  I wasn't ready to give up the coffee but I'd had it with paying $12.99 to $14.99 (depending on the store I went to) for a container of coffee.  Fortunately, their are store brands out there that are pretty darn good. 

Now through August 26th you can get Shoppers Value Coffee at SuperValue for $5.99 for a 34 ounce (might be 35 but I am too lazy to get up off this couch and check for ya) container of coffee.  The old metal can has resurfaced.  The regular cost of this coffe is $8.12/container.  Yes I will be stocking up on this. 

And if you don't have a SuperValue in your area, Krogers has their brand right now for $6.12 for the same size container. 

As I said above, I will be stocking up on this item.  I have stocked up on coffee before and drank it way past it's shelf life date.  Coffee is vaccum sealed and doesn't lose its freshness unless you puncture the seal.  So now is a great time to stock up. 

I have to admit that I was shocked that the shelves for both stores were stocked with the coffee and it didn't look like any had been taken at all.  Don't be foolish.  Just because it doesn't have a brand name doesn't mean it isn't as good.  If it's not strong enough for you, add another scoop.  Even adding another scoop, you still save a ton on what the cost of the name brand guys are selling for right now.  And, even with a coupon, the name brand companies just can't touch this.

I plan on buying 5 cans each weekend until the sale is over.  Possibly even more depending on how many stay on the shelves.  Remember to always share what is on the shelf that way the next person will share with you!

My food for thought for today! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here