Monday, December 28, 2009

Home Made Waffles - The Best

In attempting this 6-month challenge, I resigned myself to the fact that I needed to get out the cookbooks and start cooking again in order to keep the budget at $35/week. No I didn't have to blow dust off the tops of them, but they practically came crashing down on my head when I opened the cabinet door, which reminds me that I need to clean out that cabinet. Maybe this weekend.



One of the things that my husband loves is Waffles so for Christmas one of his gifts was a waffle maker. Now don't laugh. I told him it was a gift for him but that I would have to use it for him (the man doesn't cook). Anyway, when he opened it he looked at me and said "you mean I finally get real waffles?", translated means Eggo no longer get my business. Cross one more thing off my list to purchase from the store. Maybe this challenge won't be so hard.



I have to tell you that he demanded Waffles Christmas morning so I dug out the cookbook to find the recipe. Can't remember it by heart because it's only been a zillion years since I made one. Anyway.....it amazed me how I could forget the wonderful smell a home made waffle makes. You don't get that popping a waffle in the toaster that's for certain. And since when did Waffles become yellow? I don't even want to know what's in those things we have been eating.



Everyone loves Waffles. If we didn't, there would be no need for IHOP. Home made Waffles are incredible and incredibly easy to make. And, the best of all, as the batch makes more than we can eat in one sitting, they freeze very very well. Just get out your trusty dusty ole vacuum bags and you're in business. How often do you get free waffles....not very if you are honest about it, and now I don't have to take up a ton of space with those bulky boxes.



Here's the recipe....


First, get out the waffle iron and plug it in to warm it up...if you don't have one, consider investing in one from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, the Dollar Store or Target. You can get them pretty cheap.


Next
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


Mix all of these ingredients in a medium size bowl and make a little well in the center. Set aside.


Now, beat slightly 2 eggs, add 1-3/4 cups of milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Once you have everything mixed, pour this into the flour mixture and mix until moistened. Batter should be SLIGHTLY lumpy.

Pour one cup onto the waffle iron and there you have it. In about 2 minutes you will have a home made waffle that smells incredible and taste great. Of course my waffle iron turns green when the Waffle is ready. I'm sure they had cooking challenged people like me in mind when they designed it.

I estimated the cost to be about $.30 - $.40 a batch which makes as many waffles as you get in a box, no preservatives and they aren't YELLOW!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here