Monday, October 12, 2009

Home Made Chicken Noodle Soup, And The Adventure Continues

O.K. Last night for dinner I decided to use the chicken. Remember I had smoked it on the grill earlier in the day. It was a rather large chicken so I was able to divide the meat into thirds and have plenty to make 3 different meals. I took the 1 whole breast off and ½ of the other to use in chicken salad for my husband for his lunch for work. Then I took all of the remaining meat that I could off the bones and put the carcus and some carrots and seasoning on to make chicken stock for chicken noodle soup. I had a can of cut carrots that I bought at Sav-A-Lot for $.39. I used 1/4 of the can for flavoring in the stock. After making the stock and discarding the bones, I add the remaining 3/4 can of carrots, ½ can of green beans (also $.39 at Sav-A-Lot) and 1 bag of Green Giant Valley Fresh Steam Mixed Vegetables (yes you can use them in soups, etc.). This was the last of the free Vegetables that I had gotten from Wal-Mart about six months ago when they put them on sale for $1 and I had a $1 off coupon. Wish I had purchased more of those but my freezer is only so big. Maybe I need to get another :) I added ½ bag of Egg Yolks egg noodles (I think that is what it is called) to the soup. I got those at Krogers about 8 months ago or so for I think $.50 for the bag. I also added 1 can of Campbell’s cream of chicken soup that I got at Meijers a couple of weeks ago for $.09, and waalaa, home made chicken noodle soup. Frankly it made a ton so I will be eating ½ of it and freezing the rest for the future. Will probably have soup and sandwiches twice this week and then freeze the rest.


So, to add up the cost correctly, remember the chicken cost $3.55. The only fair thing to do as I will be making 3 dishes from the meat was to divide the cost by 3 which is $1.18. The Chicken noodle soup cost me $1.18 for the chicken, $.39 for the carrots, $.20 (approx) for the green beans, nothing for the mixed vegetables, $.09 for the Campbells Soup and $.25 for the egg noodles. The grand total for the soup is $2.11. Wooo Hooo. This is starting to work out. And remember, I still have approximately 1/3 of the chicken meat left over to make something with. What can I do with that...I already have an idea in mind, but I’m not telling.....yet.



I did the matchups last night and will post them this evening. I must say that I was a bit disappointed in not too many great deals at Krogers and Meijers. I’ll pick up the Remkes Flyer and Walgreens flyer on the way home to see what I can come up with from them, but it’s starting to look like a slow week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here