Monday, August 3, 2009

Home Made Laundry Detergent

Here you go ladies. I have personally made and use this recipe. It saves a ton in the cost of launHome Made Laundry Detergent

Ingredients:
(1) 3.1 oz bar Ivory Soap
1 Cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1/2 Cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
Water
(1) 5 Gallon Bucket
Long stick or something similar for stirring in the bucket

1) I grate the soap in my food processor. Makes it turn into little shavings that dissolve easier, but do it however suits you.

2) After you have the soap grated, put 5 cups of water into your pot and heat just short of boiling. You want the water hot enough to dissolve the soap but you don't want it to boil. Medium high works fine. Stir until the soap has melted then turn off the heat. It doesn't take long for the soap to melt.

3) Once the soap has melted add 3 gallons of water to the 5 gallon bucket. Stir in the melted soap mixture. Once it is mixed well, add the 1/2 cup of Super Washing Soda. Once the soda is dissolved, then add in the Borax and stir until it is dissolved.

4) If you want to add in a fragrance, add it in now. I wouldn't add in any more than 6-8 drops of essential oils only.

5) Now everything is ready and needs to sit for a day. Cover the bucket and put it somewhere where it won't get bumped or anything. Let it cool overnight. It will start gelling once it cools. It's not going to gel entirely. It will look like a blob of gel surrounded by water.

6) Give it a good stir and separate it into smaller containers. I use Gallon milk jugs that I fill about 3/4 full. I use 1/2 cup for normal loads and 1 cup for very soiled loads. I shake the milk jug up a bit before each wash.

I have found all of the ingredients at Krogers and Wal-Mart. Believe it or not, the stuff works great and ends up costing you about 3 cents a load.

Try it out and let me know what you think. Next try the fabric softener recipe. Trust me, you'll be saving yourself a small bundle in laundry detergent. Drop me a note if you have any questions.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here