Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Stock Up On Corn

Corn On The Cob. Who doesn't love corn on the cob? O.K. probably somebody, somewhere, but no one that I know of. We always seem to find it for great prices in the summer and then either can't find it or it cost a fortune in the winter months. Want to have fresh corn on the cob year round. Look no further than your freezer.

A couple of years ago I ran across a great deal on corn on the cob. It was $.10/ear and I bought a ton of the stuff with the thought that I would blanch it and freeze it and we could have it whenever we wanted. I trucked off to the local library and checked out several books on freezing and followed the directions precisely, down to using a timer! I was so excited. My hubbie loves the stuff and I was thrilled that I would be able to pull out nearly fresh corn on the cob from the freezer whenever he wanted it. It was horrid. When you blanch corn, no matter how long you let it drain, it retains a substantial amount of water and then once you freeze and thaw it out, it is somewhat mushy. Won't do that one again!!! I figured there had to be a better way so I set out searching for how to freeze the corn without having to blanch it. Found a little old lady who told me her secret and every time I eat a piece of corn from our freezer I think of her.

Here's the trick to corn that taste like you just walked outside and picked it yourself. Do absolutely nothing to it. THAT'S RIGHT. Bring it home from the store in the husks and toss it in the freezer as is. Pull it out when you want it and believe me you will be shocked. I have done this for a couple of years now and I won't even listen to any other suggestions. Towards the end of summer I purchase enough corn on the cob to last until the next summer. Needless to say I rarely buy canned corn. It's one of the best tricks I ever learned and believe me it works. Try it yourself. Kroger has corn on sale this week for $.19/ea. Buy a few more earns than you need and toss it in the freezer for a month. Next month take it out, thaw it out, husk as normal and see for yourself. It taste awesome! Don't forget to stock up this summer!!!

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here