Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Home Made Syrup for $.26

If you notice my labels at the top of my site you will see one that says Back To The Basics. I haven't put much up in the label. O.K. O.K. I have put only one recipe up there. Not because I don't have them, but because I haven't gotten my scheduling process ironed out yet. Tuesday is now officially designated as add a recipe to the Back To The Basics Label.

Well, Today is Tuesday and today we are talking syrup. Don't you just love syrup. I love syrup on pancakes, waffles, toast, biscuits. I could drink the stuff but then I wouldn't be able to fit through the door frame. Have you checked out the price of syrup lately? Even with a coupon you can't get the stuff close to free and don't even think about attempting to get it free. I checked out a couple of stores the other day and the cheapest I found was $2 for 12 ounces of no name brand. The most expensive was a name brand (we won't mention them) for $4.69. I don't remember the total ounces but I think it was 16.

What if I told you that you could make a little over 8 ounces of home made (o.k. semi home made) for $.26. Yes I said 26 cents. I don't buy syrup anymore every since I started making this stuff, which honestly was over a year ago. It taste great. Trust me. I tried it on some guys (unknowing to them) in the military one morning for breakfast. They loved it and couldn't believe I had made it myself. I actually had to show them the pan which I hadn't cleaned yet and had hid in the stove to wash once they left, to prove to them I had just made the syrup that morning. My husband loves this stuff and actually prefers I make syrup now instead of buying it. I might add that he is the pickiest eater I have met! Interested yet??? Here goes. It's so simple you won't believe it.

Go out and buy yourself a 2.2 ounce bottle of Mapeline at your local grocery store. It's basically artificial maple flavoring. Don't even think about griping at me about any preservatives or artificial ingredients. Have you looked at the ingredients in the syrup you buy?? Anyway, I paid $1.89 for a bottle. Get yourself out a trust dusty sauce pan. Put a cup of water in the pan (free), bring it to a boil, add two cups of sugar ($.10/cup from sugar I got on sale and with a coupon), and 1/2 teaspoon of the Mapeline ($.6/for 1/2 teaspoon). Turn your heat up on medium high. Don't turn the stove on high as this stuff will boil over. Stir, stir, and stir some more to make certain and dissolve the sugar (I use a wisk to stir mine). Get out your trusty dusty candy thermometer (the one that you were going to use to make home made candy - yep that one!) and heat up the syrup until it reaches 230 degrees. It takes less than 5 to 10 minutes to make. Let it cool and pour it into your old syrup container that you were about to throw out. I keep ours in the fridge and it lasts a long time. It taste great and is a heck of a lot cheaper than either the store brand or name brand. Store brand at a cost of $2 for 12 ounces comes out to $.16 an ounce. The name brand at $4.69 for 16 ounces comes out to $.29 and ounce. Home made comes out to $.03 an ounce. Need I say more??? And you thought I didn't have any other recipes!!!

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here