Saturday, March 14, 2009

Home Made Fabric Softner

Have you checked out the cost of fabric softner lately. No matter how many coupons you use, unless you get a coupon for a free bottle, you will still pay a small fortune over time for fabric softner. What if I could tell you how to make fabric softner for pennies a load. Got your attention yet? The best thing about this is we are coming up on Easter when White Distilled Vinegar is on sale. If we play our cards right, with the right coupons we might even be able to make it free here in the near future. O.K. Here's he recipe.

Got any of those gallon milk jugs that you save (I always have many on hand for watering my plants in my flower bed with grey water, but that's another story). Grab two to be on the safe side. Grab the White Distilled Vinegar and a box of baking soda.

Put one cup of baking soda into the milk jug. Add a 1 cup of the distilled vinegar very slowly. We're not going for the volcano effect here. Then add five more cups of the vinegar (remember to add slowly). Now, add 8 cups of water. Swirl the liquid around a bit and put the lid on. Pop the lid off and put it back on every 20 minutes for 1-2 hours just to vent things a little bit.

Want a special scent? Pick out your favorite essential oil and add about 10 drops. You'll want to swirl this around just a bit everytime you use it to make certain the oils stay distributed.

I use 1/4 to 1/2 cup a load and I think it works great. You can decide yourself how much to use but I wouldn't use over 1 cup a load. I have an old fabric softener ball that I pour some into and pop it into the wash. Works Great! I separate mine into two jugs just to be safe.

That's all there is to it! Like I said over the next couple of weeks there will be coupons out there for vinegar and the vinegar will be on sale so you should be able to stock up on the vinegar for next to nothing and make this all year long for probably less than what you pay a month in your current fabric softener. Let me know what you think!

Sunday Coupon Preview 2

Click Here